Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 26, 2010

Gear Review - Military Survival Fishing Kit

So I scored myself a surplus survival fishing kit. Now, I know I seem to place a lot of emphasis on fishing gear, what with having some in by OSK, my GHB, my BOB, and my BOV at all times and all, but let me explain why:



This is home right now, I took this picture less than a half mile from my house. I live in a swamp. You can't throw a rock around here without hitting a body of water, and, short of trapping, it's hard to beat fishing for energy gained v. energy burned acquiring food, on top of that, I just like to fish, so y'all are going to have to get used to it.

Without further ado, let's take a look at the kit shall we?


OK , so here's my first mistake, I should have never taken it farther apart than this, right here.

As you can see the whole thing is packed neatly in a plastic box, with some friction tape holding it closed, and a cardboard outer box. Inside the clear box is a list of contents.







And here is why I should have never opened it. Getting all that packed back in the way it came out was a pain in the butt, believe you me.

Aside from that though, there is a lot of surprisingly good quality stuff in there.

We have a signal mirror with lanyard, and Morse table on the back, some needles, three lures, assorted fresh and salt water hooks, two winders with line, aluminum sheet, a paper of knots, a razor blade, the friction tape and box, safety pins, red and yellow cloth, sinkers, swivels, and instructions for fishing, and cleaning fish printed on Tyvek so it won't fall apart when it gets wet.

While I'm sure you could build a kit like this, and customize it to fit your needs easily, and at a low cost, should you stumble across and already made kit, it's certainly fine as is. I'd say as long as the price is reasonable, this kit would make an excellent addition to anyone's preps, and is something you should give thought to. As for me, this kit will likely find a home in my currently under construction kayak OSK, which I will post in detail once it is complete.

Jimmy P - Out

5 comments:

  1. hi,After study a few of the posts on this website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I really like your blog .Thanks for sharing.

    regards,
    Rothco

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Looked all over your blog for a way to contact you. This was the best I could find. If there is a better way please let me know.
    Biotechture Training
    We are a non-profit organization.
    Our mission is to teach, as many people as are willing to learn,
    how to live sustainably. To build off-grid homes that provide for
    all human needs, because no one should have to pay a cost just for living.

    We are interested in linking up with your site.
    Please review our site at www.biotecturetraining.com and let us know if you are interested.
    Thank you
    Mark Kirkwood "Captain Kirk" CEO
    Biotechture Training
    Mark@biotecturetraining.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim
    We would like to link with your site.
    exchange adds and possible do some articles from you on our blog.
    please contact me at
    mark@biotechturetraining.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very good fishing kit, Jim! Based on your post, it has all the things you need when you are in for some fishing adventures. But as a veteran in fishing, you can add some more to this kit. I think you can add weights to complete your kit. [Kisha Kitchens]

    ReplyDelete